Monday, November 26, 2012

Rankings.

Recently, someone sent me an article downplaying the SEC and the out of conference games that they play.  It is the same old stories we read each year and lacks any fundamental information. I recently did some research and found that the LSU/FLA had won more games against top 25 non-conference teams than any conference's total number team wins during the past 6 years. .

But the question was based on this year and seems just as ridiculous.
All other AQ teams combined have beaten one win against top 20 non-conference.  UCLA won a game against Nebraska early in the year.   The SEC has 3 wins. (This weekend Fla and SC beat two 10-1 teams and SC did it with back up QB and RB.)

It made me consider how I would you rank the teams. My list is not very different than the 3 major polls nor the BCS rankings. This is not who I think is the best overall, which of course, I think at least 3-6 SEC teams would likely beat Notre Dame in a bowl game. (Definitely 6 if South Carolina was healthy.)

Some other points of confusion, I also do not understand why Oregon is still ranked ahead of Stanford.
Is Ohio State better than I think?  They definitely have NFL talent, but I still don't buy that they are a top team.  Do I have Texas too high?

My expectations are simple, when the Bowl Season is over the SEC will have another BCS title and have won around 8 games while playing teams that have finished much higher in their conference than the SEC teams finish.   The Final SEC Rankings will have 1. Bama, 2. GA 3. FL 4. LSU T-5.Aggies and SC.
  
How to judge a Conference: I use the top half- Can anyone consider their 4th team to be on the level of LSU I doubt many people really think their conference champion would be a favorite against LSU:

4th Seeded Teams:
*ACC-NCarl, *Big 12-Ok St. *Big 10-Penn ST, *Big East -UConn,  *Pac 12-UCLA.
When I drop to 5th or 6th is gets even worse. (The only negatives I found was that the 5th place Big 10 team beat the 8th place SEC and 3rd seated Texas beat 10th seed Ole Miss. )

S, I know you sometimes get frustrated with me because I do base my rankings on overall talent in the conferences and down play the other teams at times because of recent history when the SEC gets to bowl games and healthy.  I don't understand why Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State and USC aren't fighting for NC each year, but they don't.




J

No comments: