Wednesday, June 19, 2013

US OPEN`

Father's Day has become difficult for me to watch in recent years because of golf and the NBA finals.
Phil losing US Opens is gut wrenching.  The year he lost it on 18 and the Mavs were robbed in Miami made me quit watching TV for a month.

Phil has 4 majors, but I think he needs 6 to get his due among the greats of all time. We cannot forget that Tiger is just a phenom that is mentioned as greatest ever, but that Phil is an all time great. 

I have never seen a supposedly great putter, like Lefty, miss as many birdie putts inside of ten feet.   It is the complete opposite of Jack and Tiger.  This makes it gut-wrenching for me in every major.

Still, I enjoy watching the wizardry and relate to the failures with Phil more than any golfer I have ever rooted for  in sports.

Rory, has to have Girl issues.  He loses concentration completely.   His ball striking is still below last year, but better than 95% of the PGA, but his putting is killing him.   Can the new ball effect the read of putts that much?  I would like to see the math on the subject.

Tiger, has been the best putter on tour by a wide margin for most of the year, but in the last month fallen off again.  I am confused by his lost ability to read putts better than anyone we have ever seen.

Justin Rose is a great golfer and I am glad he won a major.  I like his game and felt he deserved to win shooting 3 under the last 3 days when the course became harder.  His birdie after watching Phil Eagle 10 was eerily familiar to watching him make long putts in the recent Ryder Cup to beat Phil, who was playing great.
It is great to watch and almost funny, but you can tell that Rose likes Phil and wants to beat him out of respect.  It is like, Phil has made people better somehow. What a great competitor Rose has become?


J

No comments: