Wednesday, June 11, 2014

US OPEN - A time to see who can handle failure.

With the US Open starting tomorrow, I worry about both of my favorites players.

Before, I get into the true golf comments I want to share a story from last month at the golf course.

I was glad that David went through the qualifying events and is playing in the National Championship. He has been on an upward trend in the last month, so anything can happen if that flat stick gets hot. If he wins, I know that I will be one of many that will be tearing up.

Phil is considered a favorite in most betting odds. Vegas has him at 13/1 and most other around the same which is second to only Rory at 10/1.

Phil recently commented that this was the most important major he will ever play. I am not much in hyperbole, but at his age, the medical issues he has lived through during the last decade and most concerning the Federal SEC investigation into trading back in 2011.  Because of this, I think this feeling of importance may have some truth to it for Lefty.

His game has been down this year, which suggest age and the lack of concentration is having a huge impact. The thing about Phil is that if he can just get in contention on Saturday anything could happen.  I see he will be using the claw grip this week, which is a good thing in my mind.  The pencil or claw is definitely a stroke that is stable on really quick greens.

Rory is still the most talented golfer in the world and in my opinion it isn't close with Phil and Tiger aging mentally and physically. His ability to bomb the ball and hit every shot is unmatched when you include his emotionally stability. He doesn't have Tiger's putting stroke or Phil's arsenal around the green, but his is a birdie machine. He hits more shots close than anyone, that I have seen since Johnny Miller and Greg Norman.
It is ashamed that Nike wasted a year and a half of his life by not being able to produce clubs to match his swing like Titleist did.  The win a few weeks ago was his first in 18 Months in Europe, a ridiculous delay for someone that makes this many birdies.

My Favorites.

  • Rory- If it rains we could see a show. 
  • Jimmy Walker- Best player all year and he can putt the lights out. 
  • Jason Day- I really hope his wrist has been healthy enough for him to get his game in order.
  • Ian Poulter- He likes the stage and can put the fast greens. 
  • Dustin Johnson- He should have won two already.  That collapse at Pebble can only be a learning experience. 
  • Martin Kaymer- He seems back to normal.
The rest I think can win:

  • Sergio- We heard for years about Westwood, but Sergio is better ball striker and if he can control his putts.  I think it would be great if he won after the ridicule and mental torture he has brought upon himself.
  • Pretty Boy Scott- He deserves to be number one in the world. He is classy and so consistent, but I worry about his short game. 
  • Phil - He is the US Open commander in chief, when he is focused he can win anywhere and especially at Pinehurst. 
  • Bubba- If he can putt these greens and maintain focus, he could win anything. Besides who is more fun to watch that Bubba. 


No comments: