Thursday, July 3, 2014

Futbol Thoughts

After watching some soccer over the past few weeks I've got a few thoughts:

PROS:

  • My favorite thing about the games are the pace.  What I mean is that we don't suffer the maddening play stoppages seen in other sports.  You are in an out in less than 2 hours with minimal breaks.  It keeps the tension and interest high.
  • I like how the drama builds as you go through the match, knowing how hard it is to score.  Combined with the lack of stoppages you find yourself really drawn in.
  • It's a skill sport where the fastest and most agile clearly have the edge.  You can easily identify the great players, and they consistently produce.  I appreciate the athletic/skill level and we know that most of the best athletes in Europe and South America play the sport.
CONS:

  • The officiating is awful and because of the low scores referees frequently have too much hand in determining the winner.  Too many missed or blown calls and way too much flopping.
  • Too many times teams score and sit on leads, making much of the game unwatchable as they drop back into "prevent" mode.
  • It's still too much of a frustration sport where you might get 8 shots on goal in 90 minutes and come up empty most of the time.  I think they need to lighten up on the offsides rule and let everyone run free.  But that would be too radical I guess.
All in all, I can appreciate and enjoy the World Cup, but I certainly don't see myself ever watching run of the mill league matches.

S

1 comment:

Sport Thought said...

I agree with everything.

It is still hard to watch the USA group send out athletes that lack the quickness and strength of the rest of the top teams.

I am glad it is only every four years or I would never watch it again.

The kid from Columbia was the best player that I saw.

The European guys looked like SEC players vs the rest, they were bigger and seemed more well rounded.
j.