Monday, January 27, 2014

Cowboys

Is futility the word to use when "8-8" seems like a unlikely positive going into next year?

Let's review:
The same coaching staff, the same players and the same GM.
(I will post on this debacle later, it is too ludicrous to even write down at this time.)

Most of the key components either Old or Injury Prone.
Lee, Austin, and Murray are always hurt. Even Dez has issues in this department.
The aged ones Romo, Witten, and Ware are definitely over the hill.

Last years draft was a huge improvement, but who knows what to expect this year.

We can just enjoy Smith, Frederick. Bryant and Bailey.(Wow, how desperate am I as a Cowboys fan to mention a kicker that signed a guaranteed contract.)

The Draft:
Before anyone predicts anything, I would spend the next two years drafting for four years from now.
I would take Lineman ONLY.  Maybe a 70/30 split with Offensive Lineman being primary target.

With two more quality offensive lineman and the new blocking scheme, Dallas can continue to be productive and maybe keep Romo from dodging people within 2 seconds.  The new scheme is vastly better on running, but Romo still takes way too many hits and near hits to survive for 3 more years.

Defensive Line:
I understand the notion that a great defensive end makes the entire offense better, but I do not think he should take precedent over another OT.  I wish Dallas had a big man in the middle to push back the center and guard more than I desire a DE.

Safety:  I do not trust them picking a Safety. I would rather they have serious discussions with the coaches that are responsible for the DB's.   With the next generation of passing games, I see playing more CB's and a big hitter at Safety.

Linebackers:  If healthy this is a wash, I think it starts with DL, unless they want to go to fast player than can actually run with the new TE's.

J.

No comments: