Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Stan the Man

How awesome to see Musial on the SI cover last week! You know I've always had that soft spot for Musial, liking him more than Williams, more than Mantle even. A great story to read. Open for debate: was Musial's 1948 the greatest single season in the post war era? He missed the triple crown by 1 homer. He finished leading the league in batting average, hits, doubles, triples, rbi's, total bases, and slugging %, but alas 2nd in homers. My previous posting of "best 9" years for the immortals makes the case that Stan the Man deserves a little higher place than he is now accorded.

S

1 comment:

Sport Thought said...

Somehow, I forgot to comment on your post.

Stan the Man. I cannot believe how much he is overlooked. I cringed everytime Mays, Dimaggio, Mantle and Williams were mentioned as the greatest player living, and the person left of "The Man"