Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pujols' Contract

From Albert today: "If you think I'm greedy, you don't know who I am".  I've been trying to put this in perspective.  Pujols is 10 years into a career which has already established him as probably the greatest right handed hitter of all time, and in the top 5 ever from either side.  After 10 years he has a .331 average and over 400 homers, 1200 RBI, and 400 doubles; 3 MVP awards and a series ring.  Already a walking hall of famer.  If you were him, what would you ask for?  How do you pay someone who is not just great, but close to the best ever?  There is no way to compensate him if you use A-Rod as the baseline.  But, St. Louis isn't a huge market and they have a $90mm payroll.  Should Pujols take less than market value?  If he settles for 7 years @ say $22mm, that contract is less than C.C. Sabathia's.  I don't know the answer.  I'd like to think I would take something like that in order to remain where I started and where they love me.  But I will say if he is asking for $300mm, then he is greedy despite his claims otherwise.

S

No comments: