Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tide Rolls

Number 10 (AP/UPI/Coaches/BCS) for Bama, all since 1960.  They can certainly claim to be King.  You know my relationship with Bama is weird; they were my favorite team as a kid, until we moved to LA and I got old enough to get caught up in LSU.  I remember the goal line stand against Penn St. in '79 and the beat down of Miami in '92.  But oddly I pulled against them in '09 and '11.  But, not last night.

I have to stop and appreciate what Saban has accomplished, not just the win totals, but the way he runs a total and complete program from top to bottom, doing everything just right.  Not that he has no bad eggs, but they seldom taunt, or showboat, or act like fools in press conferences, or get personal fouls.  It's one of those rare times in sports where someone just has it figured out more than everyone else.  Everything works, every single thing.  He has a philosophy, but not too rigid to adjust, as you pointed out in your last post.

Now, how long and how many?  I always say "appreciate the championships, they are not easy to come by".  But he is making it look very simple indeed.  With Brian Kelly on the opposite sideline and Urban Meyer watching in the booth, I couldn't help but think, they are seeing what it will take to topple the King.  Can they do it?  Can anyone?

S

No comments: