Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The C Word

Tom Seaver used to say that the essence of pitching is command. That quote has always stayed with me. As you know I’ve always favored great pitching and the current trend is great to me as a fan. I watched Jimenez, Josh Johnson, & David Price all flirting with 100 mph in the all-star game, and of course there is Strasberg. But what’s amazing to me is watching Cliff Lee pitch every 5 days and stay on course to become one of the richest players in the league, with a 90 mph fastball. Leo Mazzone used to talk about addressing the rookies in spring training and telling them that until they could locate their fastball on the corners consistently, they wouldn’t be pitching for Atlanta. I’m pleased to see that you can still win in the majors with A-level command. The problem is it’s extremely rare to see a pitcher with A-level command. Maddux and Glavine had it. Nolan Ryan had exactly none of it. Seaver & Pedro had it + great stuff. Lee throws 4 pitches exactly where he wants to and he wastes no time. In and out, up and down, hitters rarely see a fat pitch, and they are forced to adjust to his pace. It’s a joy to watch. He seems to be rubbing off on the whole Rangers staff. Four starts with the Rangers, 1 walk in 35 innings. Thirteen pitches per inning on average. Pressure and expectations seem to have no effect on him at all. I’m forced to retract my opposition to the trade. Having him here for all to watch how a real big-league pitcher should look, even for 3 months, is priceless.

S

No comments: