Monday, March 29, 2010

Izzo

Let's put Tom Izzo's accomplishments in perspective. After just 15 years as a head coach, all at Mich St., he is making his 6th F4 appearance (in a 12-yr span). This year moves him past Rick Pitino, Guy Lewis, Lute Olsen, & Bobby Knight, into a tie for 5th most all-time with Denny Crum and Adolph Rupp. For whatever reason I took a real like to Izzo despite his Big 10 affiliation. He seemed to be grounded, humble, hard-working, and just likeable. I guess the old-school committment he makes to toughness, rebounding, and defense still plays well even in our era. He plays a national schedule and has a knack for coaching the kinds of principles that lead to tournament runs. He is an amazing 6-1 in regional finals and hasn't had a 4-yr player who didn't participate in a F4. That's a program. I also read that 82% of his 4-yr players have graduated. I find it hard to root against him, even against an SEC team this past weekend, when I didn't want to be happy for him, but was anyway.

S

1 comment:

Sport Thought said...

I love IZZO, it also makes you realize how great coach K is.

j