Thursday, December 22, 2011

TX State Championship Games Last Weekend.

My traveling is slowing so I thought I would comment on what I witnessed.
I did get to see the 2 ESPNU High School Rbs and thought a 3rd was their equal.
-
Aledo and Manvel- Manvel had the talent to make it close, but the 3 times defending State Champs scored when they needed.
Jonathan Gray-Aledo 5 star:
Looked smaller than I expected at 5'11" and 190.  Yahoo has him at 4.4 but it looks like a 4.49 at best.
He is elusive in a fluid way and will be something the Horns desperately need.  Hard to tackle in open field but not someone that will break tackles between the tackles.  I like him more than Malcolm Brown.
I was sitting with someone that played against Gray in district and he made a comment about him not playing hard all the time. (His D Coord told the team.)  So I watched!  It is true, he did not block at all and it hurt them on more than a few plays.   Two times I saw him not even put his mouth piece in all the way, when he wasn't involved in a passing play.    This is a worrisome fact for the Horns.  Add this to his supposed suspension earlier in the year for giving an opposing player a throat slash gesture and we may have a
bit of maturity issue for this superstar.

Southlake - Hightower.
Hightower definitely had the better athletes and the best offensive player on the field in 4 Star Aggie signee Bralon Addison.  5'10 182 - 4.4 40 and appeared quicker than Gray.  Addison never stopped driving and left people standing dumbfounded in the open field.
The Dragons just know how to win and JR QB Hill was running through lanes the entire 2nd half.
I am still confused on how good I think Hill is.

Delkaney-Steele.
Mismatch in this one. Steele didn't have the athletes that the other 3 5A teams put on the field.
Trey Williams from Delkaney( another Aggie signee is a 5 star at 5'8 180) has the ability to make people miss. I didn't stay to see all of this one, but he is good and tough. 

I understand why Gray is a 5Star and Williams, but Addison looked to be the same level at a 4star.
I saw that yahoo compared him to Devery Henderson. 
I am impressed with the two Aggies signees.

Did I see better athletes that the ones I witnessed in Lousiana this year...No, but they are just as good.

No comments: