Friday, June 18, 2010

Sports Franchises - All Time

I was curious to compare the Lakers & Celtics during these finals, in terms of history. While the Celts have dominated the Lakers head to head, I would argue that the Lakers are actually the most successful sports franchise in the 3 major sports. Laughing are you?

During the 62 championship seasons contested by the NBA, the Lakers have appeared in an incredible 31 of them, a dead 50%. They have won 16 of their 31 appearances, meaning they have won 26% of the championships awarded. Only 5 times in 62 years have they failed to make the playoffs!

Also, I would rate their all-time team slightly better. If the Laker 8-man rotation was Jabbar, Baylor, West, Magic, Bryant, Shaq, Worthy, & Goodrich, I think they would take the Celts team of Russell, Bird, Cousy, McHale, Havlicek, Heinsohn, Jones, & Pierce. On a side note I also wouldn't want to tangle with the 76'ers all-timers: Chamberlain, Erving, Cunningham, Hal Greer, Iverson, Chet Walker, Cheeks, & Malone.

In baseball, the Yankees have appeared in 40 of the 105 World Series, 38%. They have won 27 of those 40, or 26% of all World Series, the same as the Lakers.

In football, the Cowboys have appeared in 10 NFL champ games/Super Bowls since 1960, or 20% of the 50 contested during that time. Their 5 wins equal 10%.

S

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow,

You got me on that one with the Lakers. I cannot dispute the true numbers.

Crazy.

You need to do the history of the NFL also. I would be curious to see you thoughts, if we checked overall numbers from the teams prior to 1940. Exclude the newbies like the Cowboys.


j

Anonymous said...

Wow,

You got me on that one with the Lakers. I cannot dispute the true numbers.

Crazy.

You need to do the history of the NFL also. I would be curious to see you thoughts, if we checked overall numbers from the teams prior to 1940. Exclude the newbies like the Cowboys.


j