Sunday, May 29, 2011

Espn 30 on 30- Drazen Petrovic and Vlade Divac

S, I think you mentioned to me that I should watch this and I am so glad I did.

This story went so far beyond sports.

It reminded me of the beauty of  Basketball and more importantly how great the players on that Yugoslavian team really were.  I had forgotten the hate dished out to Divac because of the Serbian and Croatian conflict. Divac, who by all accounts is a great guy, really was a talent and was in a no win sitiuation.

During Petrovic's time with the Blazers and Nets we used to talk about how great a player he really was in world games.
It was enlightening to hear the players and coaches talk about Petro in Portland and why he didn't get playing time.
Rick Adleman was so caught up in playing the same ole same game, that he missed a chance to actually beat the Pistons with a game changing shooter and passer.

After his trade to the Nets we started to see the incredible shooting that Drazen could do.  What a sad day it was for the world when he was killed in the car crash.

Petrovic ended his short career shooting over 50 percent from the field.   Can you even remember that last time a 6-5 guard shot 50% while living off of a jump shot and 44% from 3.
As a comparison Reggie "Overrated" Miller NEVER shot 44% once from 3point land in his 18year career. Ray Allen has done it once.

I really did enjoy the story,  well done by Espn.
J

No comments: