Sunday, June 12, 2011

Game 6

Well tonight I'm more than just a little nervous.  How many times in your life does a team you pull hard for have a chance to claim the big prize?  Off the top of my head here are the games that jump into my mind that gave me the most pure elation:
  • Cowboys over Miami Super Bowl 1972, I was only 8 but Staubach was my first sports hero along with the aging Jerry West
  • Alabama over Penn St. in the goal-line-stand game 1979 I think, I was 15 and at that time in my youth 'Bama had my heart more than LSU (I moved to LA in 1974)
  • Cowboys over Bills 1992 Super Bowl, the return to glory game; I hardly sat down for the entire NFC champ game but got to relax as the boys destroyed Buffalo in the big game
  • Cowboys over Steelers 1995 Super Bowl, more a huge relief to survive that game and finally get the big win over Pitts
  • Atlanta over Cleveland 1997 World Series; I pulled for Atlanta throughout my youth thanks to cable TV and they finally got over the hump behind Glavine
  • LSU over Oklahoma for the BCS title 1993; another game I never sat down and can remember most of the plays in my head to this day; this is number 1 for me and always will be
  • LSU over Ohio St. 1997 BCS title; relief again after nearly blowing our chance to be there
  • Allen over Hightower for the 2008 TX state 5A title; fresh in my memory and what an incredible run it was, beating 4 undefeated teams in the playoffs

I probably forgot something; but those are the ones than quickly come to mind when I look back; I hope tonight is another one!

S

1 comment:

Sport Thought said...

I just noticed I got the LSU dates wrong of course, 2003 and 2007, not 1993 and 1997. Duh.

S