Saturday, January 1, 2011

Waiting for Rose Bowl

As I wait for the Rose Bowl I wanted to post because with all the incredible amount of media coverage and information we get it's easy to skirt past things and I wanted to point out again what a huge day this is for TCU fans and players.  13 years ago it would be difficult to imagine a more improbable event than TCU playing in the Rose Bowl.  Already in a coma and left for dead after the demise of the SWC, an unknown coach and assistant arrived in Fort Worth to guide the frogs.  They had little tradition, lousy facilities, and no following.  Now in 2010 they play in their 2nd straight BCS game, they have joined a major conference again, they will play in a new stadium next year, and they are paying a coach nearly $2 million, and he is well worth it.  After 60 years in the football darkness, TCU has climbed their way back to the biggest of stages and I hope all fans stop to appreciate this day, win or lose.  Davy O'Brien and Sammy Baugh would be proud.

P.S., I can't find it in myself to think they will win today.  I fear they will get beat up and may freeze up on this stage.  Patterson must get them to play football, not worry about any kind of "statement", and he will have to conjure all his skills to overcome their physical disadvantage.  I pray otherwise and am hoping they can stay in it and prove their worth.

S

No comments: