Friday, October 28, 2011

Morning After

When I stumbled to bed last night after staring into space for about 20 minutes, my mind was running toward never watching sports again and I figured I wouldn't be on the blog again for quite some time.  But I figure, what the hell, this is what the blog is for after all.

I just can't figure out why it matters so much.  Why do we care if these men and boys win or lose?  I feel like I have a hole in my soul this morning, like something was taken that I can't get back.  I will be able to close my eyes when I'm old and remember that ball sailing over Cruz' head and realizing what it meant.  The singular worst moment I've ever experienced in sports.  Not the worst loss though, the worst loss ever was Airline's undefeated basketball team going down.  That remains my worst night ever in sports.  This is close.

Of all nights, Feliz didn't have his best heater.  Plus, Napoli should have known that Freese's power is to the opposite field.  Without the extra juice on the fastball, they needed to stay inside.  Then, the bad kharma bringing out Oliver who is the only tie left to the bad old days of the Rangers.  Two lefties, two hits.  Hamilton's homer should have been the crowning moment for the franchise; instead it means nothing.

Home teams have won the last 8 game 7's in WS play.  Carpenter vs. Harrison.  Momentum vs. deflation.  A team with 10 titles and 18 pennants vs. a team with 0 and 2.  A charmed team vs. a cursed one.  We have talked a lot about Ryan changing the culture for the Rangers.  Young, Kinsler, Hamilton, Napoli, Andrus, this bunch of great guys will be tested tonight like none other.  Only their character gives us any chance tonight. 

I'm debating whether I can take watching it.  Maybe I'll just cancel my newspaper subscription, swear off sports, find some other hobbies, and save myself the pain.  At my age it shouldn't matter so much.

S

1 comment:

Sport Thought said...

I didn't know exactly how to respond to the last paragraph.

Maybe we should call it a rant.

I woke up this morning after 3 hours of sleep...Maybe. I replayed the decisions over and over again, but obviously it is bothering you more than me.

I will miss the first 5 innings tonight and go to the Airline game. They win and they are in the Playoffs.
j.