Monday, April 2, 2012

Definition of Mental in Golf.

In response to the Johnny Miller's remark.
I have to respect anything Miller says and agree with him that Tigger handles pressure better than anyone else.

My issue is a little more controversial, I have never related mental prowess with the ability to block out the reality of "what if" I fail.
 A golfer that competes with below average swing speed and hits it in the fairway is far and away more mental that someone like Woods, who through out his career has hit it every where, but has the physical abilities to hit shots that others just cannot hit.

Its his lack of an ability to confront all the issues mentally that separates him from the rest.
He is like a 5year old at times, we all remember when we lacked the mental awareness of recognizing consequences.

 He is an example of a "soulless thinker."
 If you find being selfish and lacking self awareness a mental success then I have no argument.
So, I stand by my statement, physically he can do things others cannot. If you doubt it watch his short game miracles and then turn around and he hits a 5 iron out of the 3 inch rough with a cut from 210yards.

 The fact that he is mentally lacking what you would want your own children to feel and represent, is what makes him an all-time great golfer. I wish it was not true, I wish only the good guys could win, but it is just not true.

My opinion on this type of thinking is not isolated to just golf.  Take a moment and think of the greatest players in each sport during the last 50 years and you will notice many times some huge social issues.
j

No comments: