Wednesday, September 8, 2010

High School Superstar.

Here is the player from South Panola that is running rampant.

Artilcle from Clarion Ledger:
Reinvented Griffin bursts into prep limelight as South Panola senior RB


Qyen Griffin wasn't picked for The Clarion-Ledger Dandy Dozen nor can he be found anywhere on Rivals' or Scout's Internet lists of Mississippi's top 30 prospects.


But anyone searching for the state's most impressive high school performer through three weeks need look no further than South Panola's freight train of a running back.
Griffin, a 5-foot-10, 225-pound senior, has rushed for 749 yards and scored 11 touchdowns as the Tigers - the nation's No. 1 high school team per Rivals - manhandled Petal, Colquitt County (Ga.) and Memphis University School.
"Qyen's got great strength and balance," SP coach Lance Pogue said. "He can give that little juke where he won't take the first shot. Then he knows when to stick it in there, drop his shoulder and be physical. He's been everything I thought he could be."
So how did Griffin - who's averaging 13 yards per carry and has four TDs of 70 yards or more this fall - fly under the preseason radar of college coaches and the media who track the prospects they're recruiting?
Two reasons: A position change and questions about whether he'll meet NCAA freshman eligibility requirements.
Griffin earned first-team All-State honors from The C-L in 2009 - one of just four juniors to do so - as a linebacker/strong safety.
"We had (Tig) Barksdale at running back in Qyen's freshman year, (Nick) Parker his sophomore year and then Parker and (Domonique) Carothers last year," Pogue said. "Qyen filled such a major void on defense last year as a guy who could play the run or the pass. Really, he's an All-State guy on either side of the ball, which gives you an idea of what kind of athlete he is."
So, too, does Griffin's family tree. His brother, Jeramie, was a finalist for Mr. Football in 2006. Jeramie signed with Alabama in '07 but his career was cut short last August by a torn ACL in his left knee.
His scouting report on baby bro?
"I had a lot more speed, but Qyen has a lot more power," Jeramie said. "I can't say who's better. We argue about it all the time."
Those debates are of little significance compared to the main message Qyen hears repeatedly from his older brother.
"I'm always on him about his grades," said Jeramie, who remains in school at Alabama and plans to graduate with a business degree next spring. "I don't want him to have to go through the same things as me. If I had put in more time and work in the classroom, I might have been the valedictorian or something."
According to Pogue, Qyen is progressing academically, a development sure to help his chances of playing big-time college ball. He's yet to receive a Division I scholarship offer.
"Qyen knows he has a lot of work to do, but he's off to a good start in his senior year," Pogue said. "He's got to have a great year (in the classroom) and do a good job in his preparation for the ACT, but it's not out of the question he'll qualify.
"I don't think there's any question Qyen's a top 10 (prospect) in Mississippi. I think folks will see, if they haven't already, that he's an SEC-caliber running back."
Griffin, who indicates he's open-minded when it comes to choosing a college, is appreciative of his early-season success. He first flashed his ball-carrying potential as a 10-year-old competing against Jeramie and his high school friends in their tiny Panola County community of Courtland.
"I think I've surprised a lot of people this year, but I put in the work this summer and my coaches believe in me," Qyen said.
"I'm really close with my brother. We talk all the time. He hasn't seen me play yet this year, but he likes what I'm doing. He reminds me to keep my head on straight and keep staying in my books.
"Since he's not able to play right now, I feel like I'm doing it for both of us. That's more motivation for me."

J

No comments: