Wednesday, September 21, 2011

NBA TV Celtics and Larry Bird

I recorded the Larry Bird special on the NBA channel.

I had forgotten what Bird really was, he was the what other players are said to be.
He made his teammates better and if needed he could literally take over any game.  This statement is overused, but with Bird, I actually believe it.
I still remember the Hawk game where hit 60 from everywhere, and it is the only time I ever saw the opposing team cheering for an opposing player. They even show a clip of the game he played left handed- He evidently told the media and players he was going to do it for 3 quarters the day before the game. (He scored 27 on Kersey by the end of the 3rd. Left Handed)

My favorite memory of Bird isn't from the NBA, its what we saw at Indiana State.
I hated that Indiana State(Yankee) team when they made it through about 20 games undefeated.
 Then I finally saw Larry Bird and I started to change.
S, as you know, my favorite team was Arkansas and even after the game in which they beat the hogs to make the Final 4, I went outside and started shooting in the driveway trying to emulate what he could do. 
Sidney Moncrief was my favorite player until that day.

Indiana State had never made the NCAA tournament until that year he took them to the Finals.
Jabbar is the greatest College Player Ever, Walton was the greatest I ever saw, but Bird did more with a less talented team than any player I have ever seen.

j.

No comments: