Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hyperbole in the growth of Golf?

S,
You and I have discussed this subject for years.
- Did Tiger Woods really increase the growth of Golf?

Some data is in the Golf Magazine May 2010.
We can argue with the recession having an effect, but we also need to recognize the population growth.

Since 1997 vs 2009.
The rounds of golf have DECREASED by 1%.
The amount of golfers has increased by 9%. Matched the population Growth.
Equipment Sales- 0% - No Growth.

The answer is NO on his impact to the game being played.

What he did do, however was increase TV viewers. 25% increase since 1996.
I wonder how this relates to the NFL increase since 1996. I have a feeling that fantasy football is the biggest impact in sports that we have seen.

This does beg us to ask the question, why people watch when he plays?
To me it is simple, we want to see greatness.
Can one of the greatest players that ever lived be over-hyped. YES.
j

1 comment:

Sport Thought said...

I think you're dead right. People are drawn to watching greatness when they know they can see it. But these people he brought to the TV set don't necessarily care to play or buy golf stuff. To the networks he was/is a gold mine.

For me as a non-player, he definately brought me a lot of thrills and some great memories, but he didn't get me on the course either.

S