Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ryder Cup

Corey Pavin would never have been my choice and I believe I commented on it months ago.
He lacks the charisma to take over a room and turn emotions.

Golf is the emotional game I have ever participated in and this is a problem. a cheerleader is not what I mean, just the ability to see through people to get them to change. I never felt the team building as a big advantage for the US. I blame Pavin's lack of charisma for that . The captain has to be COOL or Special, he has neither. A plodder with little explosive behaviour is not what we need in Europe.

As far as his lineups. I found it average at best. He used the easy pairings for his problem fit, but seemed to forget that this course was not suited for a wild drivers. Pairing similar people was mandatory and he gets only a C, because Colin killed him on the teams.

Hunter Mahan going out 2nd to last, that was a stretched. Fowler make four birdies in a row is what I would have expected. This is why I wanted Anthony Kim on the team... He is fearless and not the robotic golfer.
Mahan - Choked the last two holes. Pure and Simple the pressure killed him.
I mentioned a couple of months ago, how when I was under pressure I lost distance, well Hunter Mahan knows the feeling.

Here is a point on why I like Phil even when he is hurt and playing terrible.
--

Afterward, in a team news conference, Mahan tried to express his feelings but was repeatedly overcome by emotion. As Mahan fought back tears (and failed), Mickelson, in a classy move, took the microphone from him and partly blamed himself for the USA's loss. After all, Mickelson said, he had lost three of his four matches.

Davis Love is the next captain. No personality, but he is mean. He will probably bring in Freddie for the Cool Factor. Hopefully he will pick a course with no rough.
j

No comments: