Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Bobby Bowden Comments

We need a memorial to Bowden.
I do not have time to explain the great job he did.

As a start, I think it was the biggest change I have witnessed in College Football.
I vividly remember the change after 1976, the scheduling and visiting all fo the SEC schools.

Florida State prior to 76 was as close to a Baylor or Rice as any other schools I can think of in regard to location, talent in the area, with no great history.

For 30 years, not only did he remind me of my uncle in his mannerism's, but he was quick witted, funny, ingenious in play calling. He had no fear when calling a game, I wish I knew how many times he went for 2 pts or on 4th down.

The Histoical Truth:
It started with the 1987 FSU team finishing at 11-1, which started a streak of 14 consecutive seasons with 10 victories or more.
The Seminoles finished in the top 5 of the final Associated Press Top 25 poll every season from 1987 to 2000. 27 straight bowls....
Prior to Bowden 51% winning 157-136-14.
AB- 309-91-4- 72%

Florida State played against a national champion 12 times during that 14 year span.
Record- 4 wins- 8 losses.

How Great is this fact?
Two points of reference:

Point 1. The Pete Carroll and USC love fest during the 21st century vs Bowden at FSU.
Carroll's second year at USC they went 11-2.
This continued for a great 7 year streak of 10wins and top 5's.
Now USC's streak is over and Bowden's dynasty should be appreciated even more.

Point 2: Joe Pa has never won 10 games more than 2 years in a row and numerous missed bowl opportunities while playing in the inferior talent of the Northeast.

It was fun and Bowden should be mentioned with the Bear and Bud.

J

No comments: