Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dupree

I finally watched the 30 for 30 movie about Marcus Dupree.  I can't say the last time I enjoyed a sports movie that much.  The thing is the mid-80's were transition years for me, the time in my life when I probably watched the least sports.  Watching this movie was a revelation.  I forgot how big he was (literally and figuratively).  Such a tragedy that he had no one to give him sound advice and keep him grounded.  I keep thinking what it would have been like if he had a level head and a strong work ethic when he was young.  Imagine him in shape, playing at 220, running for Switzer for 3 more years!  It would have been epic.

I'm happy that all those film clips are now preserved so people won't forget.  I'm going to download it on I-tunes.  The highlights actually took my breath away.  I also thought about J's long-standing opinion that Miss produces the best athletes and it would be hard to argue the point.  I just don't think any runner in the history of football had a total package to match Dupree.  I really appreciate this film maker for this movie.  Greatness.

S

No comments: