Tuesday, January 26, 2010

College QB's - Place in History

I was thinking of some of the players in various sports who've made the biggest impact during my adult years. I got caught up looking at college QB's in recent memory, specifically is Tebow the most successful or the guy with the biggest overall impact on college football in this era? Here are to me the recent contenders:

Tim Tebow - 35-6 as a starter. 2-1 as a starter in bowl games, 2-0 in BCS bowls, 1 Ntl Champ, 1 Heisman, MVP of 2 BCS bowls. Tebow had a unique set of skills and certainly impacted the sport and his team in a huge way.

Vince Young - 30-2 as a starter. 2-1 as a starter in bowl games, 2-0 in BCS bowls, 1 Ntl Champ, MVP of 2 BCS bowls. Robbed of the Heisman. Young lifted Brown's program to new heights and rolled up 839 yards of offense in winning back to back Rose Bowls.

Tommy Frazier - 33-3 as a starter. 2-2 as a starter in bowl games, 2-1 in BCS bowls, 2 Ntl Champ's, MVP of 3 consecutive BCS title games. Frazier did not lose during his last 2 years and holds the unprecendented honor of being named MVP in 3 straight Ntl Champ games.

This is really a pick-'em. My vote goes to Young. He was a 1-man gang and made more mind blowing big plays in big games than anyone I've ever seen.

S

1 comment:

Sport Thought said...

Good subject, I may do some more breakdowns in the future.

Doug Flutie was the most important College QB I have ever seen. He went to heights with BC that we never expected from them with little talent.

I have Tebow ahead of Young for more than a few reasons. I cannot give it a starters number, but games in which he played in crunch time.
1 - He was just as important statiscally if not more so, during his sophmore year as Young last year.
2. 2 NCs not just 1.Remember he played more than a small role during that stretch drive. They lose to LSU without Tebow.
3. He played longer and in many more high pressure games against superior teams than Young.
4. His team mates respected him for 4 years not 1 and 1/2.

Young and those games against USC and Michigan were some of the greatest ever, but overall I can't give him the top College QB on a short span.