Friday, January 22, 2010

Cowboys '92

I just finished reliving what I'd have to say was my very favorite moment in all the years I've been a sports fan. After loving the Cowboys since I was 7 yrs old and then suffering through the dark years, that '92 team can still literally make me cry. I can remember watching the NFC champ game and then the super bowl like they were yesterday. I've never felt that much pride and happiness watching sports before or after (maybe the Sugar Bowl in '04).

The interviewees for the DVD were Aikman, Irvin, & Norton. They were all great. Michael Irvin is without a doubt the best interview in history. He alone brings me to tears because he loved it so much and it comes out in every word he says. Here's Irvin talking about the 'perks' of being a Cowboy: "I get home from the road and there are women in my house. "What are you doing in my house, and where are your clothes?"" Delivered like only Michael Irvin can deliver it.

The defense was ranked #1 for the season. Emmitt led the league, Irvin was 2nd, and Aikman was rated 3rd. They were young, fast, confident, talented, and coached by a master. I'm sure you heard about him leaving Irvin at the airport once for being late, but did you know he left Aikman at the Stadium after the NFC champ game for being late to the bus? Had to ride to the airport with the media. But Troy loved him and so did Irvin. I would wager he could win the super bowl if he came back and coached them today.

I'm going to watch it again before bed. Having that year and 2003 for the Tigers ensure that I will die happy.

S

No comments: