Friday, January 29, 2010

Great College QB part 2

As a follow up to your Young, Tebow, Frazier rankings during our adult life.
I almost hated seeing Frazier on your list, but it is understandable and you are right.

Doug Flutie

No National Titles-1 Heisman. Record 32-10-1. (0-5 his Freshman year prior to start. 5-1 remainder of year. ) Won 3 bowl games.
Boston College had not won 10 games since 1940 prior to Flutie.
39 years since a bowl game appearance.
The year after he graduated BC went 4-8.

He made more big plays with his ability than any player I have ever seen.
Watching him throw passes under handed, 64 yards in the air and/or scrambling like Fran Tarkenton, he was the most amazing thing I have witnessed. (Vick was close but did not play long enough.) He won games with inferior talent and BC was never out of a game.

When he graduated he was the NCAA all time leader in Passing.
He was also the all time NCAA leader in total offense.

Did I mention that he was a Rhodes Scholar Finalist?

S,
You personally know that I had a huge dislike for him during his first two years at BC. He kept winning games against teams that I liked. I finally learned to appreciate and enjoy the feats he accomplished, maybe I will with Woods in golf one day.

His effect at Boston College also showed up with in research papers with exponential jumps in entry applications. This lead people to dub the phenomenon of schools popularity increasing due to sport as the FLUTIE Effect.

I wish I could have seen Staubach at Navy. I vaguely remember Manning doing the same things at Ole Miss, but I was so young that I can't remember enough detail. Besides, I was a Joe Ferguson fan first.

I would have had Steve Young on my list for just being a pure joy to watch in College.


j

No comments: