Sunday, January 31, 2010

Moments in Time

After reliving the Cowboys '92 team the other night, I tried to think of some of the best moments I've experienced as a sports fan over the years. Unfortunately many of them seem recent since memory fades over time. I thought I would try to get these down while I was thinking about it.

1. Cowboys win '92 super bowl 52-17 and bring back the glory. I remember almost every moment of the super bowl and the NFC champ game.

1a. LSU beats OU 21-14, knocking down several end zone attempts late by the Sooners, to win the 1st ntl champ since '58. I can see myself standing in my living room near to fainting dead away I wanted it so bad.

2. Personal, but it's my blog. Shelby's cheer team rallies from 3rd after day 1 to win Nationals in Feb '08. They repeated the next year, but it's hard to express seeing your child win something on that scale after so much work for the first time.

3. Alabama turns away Penn St. to win the '79 Sugar Bowl and the '78 ntl champ. Watched it at Rick Hauser's house. Cemented my love for the Tide which has remained with me to this day.

4. Sugar Ray Leonard rallies late to knock Thomas Hearns out in the welterweight showdown in 1981. I loved boxing then, and Leonard was my favorite. Like Ali, along with the flash came a big heart which he proved in this fight.

5. LSU dominates Ohio St. to win a 2nd ntl champ in the '08 Sugar Bowl. The game earlier in the year at Tiger Stadium against Florida stands out almost as much to me as my 2nd greatest Tiger moment.

6. John McEnroe defeats Bjorn Borg to stop Borg's streak at Wimbledon 1981. I used to love watching the big tennis matches, and 'breakfast at Wimbledon' was my favorite.

7. Tom Glavine shuts out Cleveland to deliver Atlanta's first World Series title. I grew up watching the Braves on cable, and it was great to see them finally scale the mountain. Glavine was the perfect person the clinch it as he represented the new Braves in so many ways, 1995.

8. Cowboys hold on the beat the Steelers for their 3rd title in 4 years, finally extracting revenge on the hated Steelers, Super Bowl 1996. Game in doubt and me sweating bullets, and then Brown's interception to seal it.

9. Josh Hamilton's home run derby binge in 2008 all-star festivities. Truly one of the most impressive athletic feets I've witnessed. The crowd in NY chanting "Hamilton, Hamilton, Hamilton". Reminded me why I love sports.

10. Michael Phelps rallies in the 100m butterfly to win his 7th gold medal of 2008 Olympics. He had no prayer with 30m to go............my household stayed up watching Phelps every night that week, and he delivered. We were all screaming at the top of our lungs.

11. I stand in my brother in law's den and watch Allen rally with 21 2nd half points with a backup QB to win the 2008 state 5A championship; Allen's first state title. For the next month, every business in town with a marquee proudly displayed "Congrats Allen Eagles 5A State Champs!"

12. Boise State boldly throws caution to the wind and strikes the ultimate blow for the little guy, toppling mighty OU in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. Watched in your den, the perfect cap to another of our traditional New Years Day bowl watching marathons.

S

2 comments:

Sport Thought said...

Everyone, including Shelby, even though I did not see it, made me feel a form of euphoria.
j

Sport Thought said...

I actually forgot how much I enjoyed watching McEnroe.
j