Friday, February 26, 2010

LSUS Pilots

MEN-I watched LSUS clinch another berth in the NAIA tourney last night.(24-4 8th ranked)
4th Conference title in 5 years, they have been ranked in the top 10 all year.
They play 10-12 kids with aggressive pressure on both ends. They are slashers on offense and play strong off the ball help defense. This is a well coached team that is fun to watch.

For the record, I know I told some of you this a couple of years ago, but I still think Chad McDowell is the best coach in Louisiana. If and when he decides to give up the family time and move his kids around the nation to try and improve his positions, someone is going to get a very detailed and aggressive coach.

I do worry about the perimeter game in the NAIA tourney.

Women- Ronnie Howell and his team have really improved during the year.
(20-5, I expect another win Saturday at home.)
They have always played aggressive and physical defense. I honestly mean that every shot, pass and dribble is contested. Last time I checked they led the nation in defensive FG%.

It has been an improvement on offense that is making the difference the last half of the year.
I don't know exactly what Ronnie changed, but they can suddenly get better scoring opportunities on the inside and out. Their offside rebounds are providing a lot of opportunities. Maybe the conference teams are playing more zone defense to cause these rebound opportunities, but I really didn't notice a difference in how teams are playing them.

The girls finished second in conference and will get two home games before the finals.

S, Fun Stuff is happening at your Alma Mater.

j

No comments: